The Centre is located in Rustavi, a city in the province of Kvemo Kartli, situated 27 km (16 miles) south-east of the capital Tbilisi. The history of Rustavi has two phases: an early history from ancient times until the city was destroyed in the 13th century, and modern history from the Soviet era to the present. On 19 January 1948 a decree by the Supreme Soviet of the Georgian Soviet Socialist Republic declared Rustavi a town of republican importance.
Rustavi stands on the Mtkvari River, 370 metres above sea level. It is the largest city in the Tbilisi agglomeration. At the shortest point, Rustavi is 7,66 km (4,6 miles) from Tbilisi. The city covers an area of 60 square km and has 138 000 inhabitants. Rustavi is second in industrial importance after Tbilisi.